Review: A Court of Wings and Ruin

5/10/2017

A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J. Maas
Rating: 5/5
Goal: 6/20

I'm usually pretty sad when a series comes to an end, and A Court of Wings and Ruin was no exception. I had that black hole of dread in my stomach the whole time I was reading-- you know the one, right? When you are compelled to keep reading and reading and reading, but you get really sad when you see how much progress you've made because now there are only 400 pages left? Then 200, then 50, then you're basically just holding the back cover and sobbing because it's over? Yeah, that. I was so sad to have Feyre and Rhysand's story ostensibly end (Maas promises more books within the universe are coming, but who knows how much Feysand will be featured?!) but pleased with how things finished overall.

ACOWAR picked up right where the second book (A Court of Mist and Fury) left off, with Feyre in the grasp of her scorned ex-lover, using her skills in a way only the newly minted High Lady can to destroy the rival court from within. Everything is literally and figuratively marching towards the oncoming war with Hybern, with the much beloved (by fans) Night Court preparing to take on the brunt of the work. There are tense meetings with the other courts (I really enjoyed learning more about the High Lords) and devious magical beings, fast-paced action, and (of course) lots of knee-shaking romance. It was basically everything I wanted it to be!

And now, the * S P O I L E R S *

Can we talk a second about Morrigan? Because UGH! I like Mor, I really do, but oh my goodness gracious did she give me a serious case of RAGE FACE. I think one of the threads I most anticipated being tied up in book 3 was the whole Mor/Azriel/Cassian thing. While Mor's reasoning for not having *romantic feels* for either of the Illyrian badasses is legit, it didn't make me any less angry. Not because she didn't feel romantic love towards either one, but because it didn't stop her from treating them like her property. You don't love Azriel? Fine. But stop stringing him along! You don't love Cassian? That's great, let Nesta have an unimpeded shot and stop getting all possessive! It really drove me nuts and eventually just pissed me off that she didn't trust her friends enough after 500 years to be her true self. And it made me really angry on Azriel's behalf that he's been pining for More for over 500 years, and she never respected him enough to say, "Listen, it's just not going to work." I'm not down with that.

And speaking of Azriel... I hope he features PROMINENTLY in the next installment. Can you hear me, Sarah J. Maas? MORE AZRIEL PLEASE! I'm afraid he may be falling in love with Elain, who is mated to Lucien and I just can't see Azriel fall in love with another woman who will ultimately rebuff his affections. I just want him to find a nice gal (or guy, whomever) who will love him unconditionally, without a big secret or magical bond getting in the way. Azriel deserves everlasting happiness, damnit!

There was also The Very Big Thing That Happened. You know exactly what I'm talking about: the gut-wrenching Thing that had fangirls around the world sobbing? I finished the book around 1AM a few days after it came out, and was lying in bed next to my hubby reading when The Big Thing happened. I honestly don't know how he slept through my bawling, but he apparently slept through Hurricane Andrew when he was a kid, so I guess he's just a really sound sleeper sometimes. Anyway, the Thing. I had an inkling that it would be okay because we've seen what can happen when all the High Lords (and a Lady this time) are gathered. If it hadn't worked, if the Very Bad Thing had been permanent, it probably would have tainted my entire view of the book. But thankfully it was only temporary!

End * S P O I L E R S *

I really liked this book, and loved the series. I'm at peace with how it ended, which isn't something you always get at the end of a beloved series. I'm sad it's over,  but knowing there are more stories from this universe coming is extremely comforting, and I think it's that knowledge that's keeping me from completely falling apart. Nobody knows how to keep you begging for more books quite like Maas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.